Emotional R. Kelly Denies Sex Charges: ‘I’m Fighting For My F***ing Life!’
In his first public comments since his arrest last month, R. Kelly angrily denied charges that he sexually abused four women, including three teenagers.
At times yelling and crying, Kelly told Gayle King: “I didn’t do this stuff! This is not me. I am fighting for my f***ing life!”
Kelly’s voice began to rise as he also denied holding women against their will, as detailed in the recent documentary “Surviving R. Kelly.” The exclusive interview was conducted Tuesday afternoon in Chicago.
“How stupid would I be to do that!” he said, tears streaming down his face during the one hour, 20-minute interview.
Then, looking into and pointing at the camera he said, “That’s stupid! Use your common sense. Forget how you feel about me. Hate me if you want to. Love me if you want. Just use your common sense. How stupid would it be for me, with my crazy past and what I have been through, now I need to be a monster and hold girls against their will and chain them in my basement and don’t let them eat?
“Stop it! You all quit playin.”
Kelly said that his past case -- he was acquitted of child porn charges 10 years ago -- is being used against him now.
“Old rumours, new rumours, future rumours. Not true!” he said.
“You can’t double jeopardy me. That’s not fair. When you beat your case, you beat your case,” he said, referring to the acquittal.
King will have more of her interview Wednesday on CBS This Morning.
Kelly has pleaded not guilty to 10 counts of sexual abuse. Kelly’s bond was set at $1 million by Judge John F. Lyke Jr. He spent three days in jail before posting the required $100,000.
Kelly has been ordered not to have any contact with any of the alleged victims, witnesses or anyone under the age of 18. He is due back in court on March 22.
Sheriff’s officials confirmed Kelly had been held at the jail’s hospital for security reasons.
Kelly has been accused of sexually abusing four victims, three of them underage girls. The alleged abuse goes back 20 years, spanning from 1998 to 2010. He turned himself in on Feb. 22, the day after a grand jury indicted him on 10 counts of aggravated criminal sexual abuse.
Main Image: CBS.