Jussie Smollett Breaks Down In First Interview Since Attack
The 'Empire' actor has spoken out in the first televised interview since he was assaulted.
Smollett was physically attacked in Chicago on January 29, when two unidentified people shouted racial and homophobic slurs, poured an unknown chemical substance on him and tied a noose around his neck.
The actor has now sat down for an emotional full-length interview with Good Morning America about the incident that Chicago police are investigating as a hate crime.
"I'm pissed off. It's the attackers, but it's also the attacks," he told reporter Robin Roberts in a sneak peek of the interview, which will air in full later today.
He added that it's been frustrating that some members of the public have been unwilling to believe what happened to him -- and the severity of the crime.
"Like, you know, at first it was the thing of like, listen, if I tell the truth then that's it because it's the truth. Then it became a thing of, like, how can you doubt that? How can you not believe that? It's the truth."
The actor addressed the attack during a performance in Los Angeles earlier this month, telling the crowd that he "wasn't fully healed yet, but I'm going to [be".
“I’m gonna stand strong with y’all," he added. "I couldn't let those motherf***ers win. So I will always stand for love. I will never stand for anything other than that.
"Regardless of what anyone else says, I will only stand for love and I hope that you all stand with me."
Main Image: Getty Images.