Deadpool Star T.J. Miller Charged With Calling In Fake Bomb Threat
The actor was reportedly slurring his words when he phoned 911.
Former star of the HBO series Silicon Valley, T.J. Miller has been charged with phoning in a false bomb threat from a train this week.
According to a press release from the U.S. Attorney's Office, Miller was charged "with intentionally conveying to law enforcement false information about an explosive device".
Miller apparently called 911 in mid-March to report a female passenger on his train was transporting a bomb. The train was stopped and a search was conducted but no device was found during the search.
The 'Emoji Movie' star was then allegedly contacted by an investigator where his original story of a brunette woman wearing a scarf changed to having red hair and a red scarf as well as a "black bag carry-on suitcase". During the call Miller claimed the woman kept asking an attendant what the next stop would be. Deadline also reports Miller said she, "seemed to want to get off the train and leave her bag behind".
"I am worried for everyone on that train," Miller is quoted as saying during the call, "someone has to check that lady out".
As the investigation continued, one of the First Class attendants claimed Miller boarded the train intoxicated, despite him telling investigators that he had only consumed one glass of wine". The attendant said the actor was actually removed from the train due to intoxication.
The story becomes even murkier when Amtrak staff reported Miller had allegedly traded "hostile exchanges" with another First Class passenger in the same carriage. Page Six referred to the exchange as deteriorating into a "screaming match" which may have been the motivation for Miller's original call to 911.
Miller was charged and has been released on a $100,000 bond and may face a maximum for five years in prison pending the results of the investigation.
It's been a troubling few months for Miller who, late last year, announced he'd be exiting HBO's Silicon Valley after the show's fourth season in what HBO called a "mutual agreement". Accounts of Miller "self medicating" and abusing alcohol on-set began to surface.
In December last year The Daily Beast ran a story that alleged Miller had sexually assaulted and become violent with a woman during sex. Miller and his wife provided a statement to Daily Beast denying the report. There was also a social media-led campaign to remove Miller from the upcoming Deadpool 2 where he stars alongside Ryan Reynolds. Many wanted Miller removed from the project similar to Ridley Scott's move to recast Kevin Spacey's role in All the Money in the World with Christopher Plummer.
A producer for Deadpool 2 responded to the charge by simply noting, "We're in the final editing. I don't think (Miller will be removed)".
The film releases in Australian cinemas April 16.